Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hello World!

This blog is for me to document my own adventures on my study abroad trip to Heredia, Costa Rica, but also, to keep the people I care about updated on my life!

I leave for Costa Rica at 9 AM on Sunday, and I can't believe it's finally here! I'll be gone until about July, and will spend the next few months studying at Universidad Nacional (UNA), living with a host family, traveling, having fun and getting to know a new part of the world!

Now some of you may have been wondering about the title that I chose for this blog, "Meche's Pura Vida". Meche (or Merche in some places) is a Spanish nickname for Mercedes, which is just about as close to Meredith as you can get, and I usually use it when I'm talking to Spanish-speakers (something I'll be doing a lot of!). Even English-speaking people that have traveled with me to Mexico and Chile have taken to calling me Meche, and it's one of my favorite nicknames, short, sweet, and a little spunky. As for the "Pura Vida" part, "Pura Vida" is Costa Rica's catch phrase of sorts, literally, it translates to "Pure Life" but in practice, it's more like "Super" or "Awesome" or "Way to Go". (How cool is it that I'm going to a country who has a catch phrase of "pure life"!). Anyway, that phrase kind of sums up how Costa Ricans (Ticos) feel about their own lives and the world, and it's an attitude I'm looking forward to adopting!

I'm hoping that this trip will be a real chance to explore the world, myself, and have a really good time! Feel free to check in from time to time and get an update on what's going on.

With Love,
Meche/Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment